Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fiskateers make a difference

I was featured in this month's issue of Scrap n art, an online magazine that has fabulous articles and layouts in it.
I credit my mother with making me the person I am today. She taught me to care for others. Most of the article deals with the charity events that I have participated in since become a fiskateer.
When someone asks what is Fiskateers, telling them it is an online crafting community is only the tip of the iceberg. I have done several events to raise money for different charities. I have enjoyed every one.
Just wanted to share the article online now!

Dare to Care

Scrapbookers, as an overall community,

are a caring group. Whenever there is a

need, whether it is providing pre-made

scrapbook pages to sick children in the

hospital, cards for US troops overseas or

scrapbook supplies for women in a shelter,

scrapbookers are ready to do their share.

Maxine Hodges is one such scrapbooker

who is always ready to do as much as

she can to help those around her and has

made her scrapbooking passion an integral

part in her charitable contributions.

Elena Etcheverry of Scrapbook Royalty

said, “Maxine is one of those scrapbookers

who uses her affi liation with the hobby

to make a difference.”

Maxine began scrapbooking when she was invited

to a home party in 1994. Maxine said, “I

collected many tools and materials, but then

the newness wore off and I did not pick it back

up until 1997. My son got married and I had

grandsons and the passion was back and has

only grown over the years.” Also in 1994, Maxine

began working at her local scrapbook store

and soon became the manager. She was employed

there for over 10 years when in 2006,

the owners decided to move to North Carolina.

“On a Tuesday, I was the manager and by

Saturday, I was the owner of The Scrapbook

Page and More in Barboursville, WV. I love my

job and love to come to work everyday,” said

Maxine.

The scrapbook store provides a perfect venue

for Maxine to combine her favorite hobby and

her charity work. She has held Scrap Pink crops

and now holds a yearly crop in support of the

National Lupus Foundation, the charity which

is closest to her heart. “My brother-in-law, Jarrell

Bledsoe, was one of the most compassionate

and giving people I have ever known. He

suffered from this disease for fi ve years before

his death. The disease presents itself so differently

in each person, it is hard to diagnose and

even harder to treat. I could not help him, but

I think he would be proud I have taken on this

cause to help other families who are dealing

with it,” said Maxine.

Maxine’s involvement in charity work is not

limited to her activities at the store. She is also

an active member of the Charity Fiskamittee of

the Fiskateers. Fiskateers are Fiskars Crafting

Ambassadors. They have an international online

community and members also get together

for real life local events. Maxine is currently

the 2009 Fiskateer of the Year. Through the

Fiskateers, Maxine has been involved in Sock

It To Poverty (collecting socks for the homeless),

Cards for the Troops and collecting food

for her local food pantry. The Fiskateers have

also become involved with Maxine in her work

for the National Lupus Foundation. “The First

Annual Crop for Lupus was held in 2008. I really

did not know exactly what I was doing, but

the crop and a corresponding auction raised

$600.00. I was so proud, but determined that

the next event would be so much bigger and

better. And it was! In 2009, Rebecca Peck, a

lead Fiskateer, agreed to come to the crop and

the attendance started getting so big, I knew

my shop would not hold everyone. The crop

fee was donated to the National Lupus Foundation.

My landlord was kind enough to let

me use an empty space close to my

store. We decorated walls and tables

and even made up a Fiskateer song.

Rebecca did a make and take and

we scrapbooked and enjoyed meeting

so many new people. We turned

the town orange (Fiskateer color)! We

had an auction and raised $2400 for my charity! We are currently in the process of planning for

the 2010 crop,” said Maxine.

To Maxine, there is no greater satisfaction than helping others. “As a child, my mother taught

me the meaning and satisfaction of doing for others. We made dinner for my aunt, who had cancer,

every weekend and spent every Saturday evening with her. We always collected for Unicef.

During high school, I was in service clubs which collected money for charitable causes. In Junior

Womans Club, I helped raise funds for a new volunteer fi re department in our small community

and as PTA president, I raised funds and got grants to build a playground at our new elementary

school. Since childhood, I have learned the gratifi cation of giving and helping others,” said

Maxine.

Make sure if you are in Barboursville, West Virginia to stop by and visit Maxine at her store, The

Scrapbook Page in the RiverPlace Plaza (304-733-9414). Who knows, you might just be lucky

enough to join her as she crops for charity! If a trip is not possible, then check out her blog at

makingmemorieswithmaxine.blogspot.com

Dare to Care

by Melita Chow

Page 27 Page 28

Maxine Hodges

Dare to Care charities are chosen in conjunction with Scrapbook Royalty.
Scrapbook Royalty is a 100% volunteer run organization whose

3 comments:

terry q said...

Way to go Maxine! You are super person - Hugs, Terry

Viji Siddharth said...

You have set an example to so many people.

TracyM #6773 said...

Awesome story Maxine - you should be very proud!!!

Good luck with the crop - I will be thinking of you and hope it is even more successful than last year.

TracyM #6773